Last updated on May 17th, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Class 6 Chapter 1 Knowing our Numbers
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Maths Chapter 1 | ncert class 6 maths solutions provided for students by our expert teachers .
- Fill in the blanks:
(a) 1 lakh = _______ ten thousand.
(b) 1 million = _______ hundred thousand.
(c) 1 crore = _______ ten lakh.
(d) 1 crore = _______ million.
(e) 1 million = _______ lakh.
- Place commas correctly and write the numerals:
(a) Seventy three lakh seventy-five thousand three hundred seven.
(b) Nine crore five lakh forty-one.
(c) Seven crore fifty two lakh twenty one thousand three hundred two.
(d) Fifty eight million four hundred twenty three thousand two hundred two.
(e) Twenty three lakh thirty thousand ten.
- Insert commas suitably and write the names according to the Indian System of Numeration :
(a) 87595762 (b) 8546283 (c) 99900046 (d) 98432701
8,75,95,762 – Eight crore seventy five lakh ninety five thousand seen hundred sixty two.
85,46,283 – eighty five lakh forty six thousand two hundred eighty three
9,99,00,046 – nine crore ninety nine lakh forty six
9,84,32,701- nine crore eighty four lakh thirty two thousand seven hundred one .
- A book exhibition was held for four days in a school. The number of tickets sold at the counter on the first, second, third and final day was respectively 1094, 1812, 2050 and 2751. Find the total number of tickets sold on all the four days.
Solution :- we have to calculate total number of tickets in all 4 days so what we have to do is we have add all days tickets 1094+1812+2050+2751 = 7707 and we get the answer is 7,707
- Shekhar is a famous cricket player. He has so far scored 6980 runs in test matches. He wishes to complete 10,000 runs. How many more runs does he need?
till now he scored 6980
He wants to complete 10000, to calculate runs needed we subtract 6980 from 10000 and we found the answer.
10000-6980 = 3020 so he needs 3020 more runs to complete his wish
- In an election, the successful candidate registered 5,77,500 votes and his nearest rival secured 3,48,700 votes. By what margin did the successful candidate win the election?
Winner candidate – 577500 votes
Opposite party – 348700
To calculate margin = winner candidate – opposite party
577500 – 348700 = 228800
- Kirti bookstore sold books worth Rs 2,85,891 in the first week of June and books worth Rs 4,00,768 in the second week of the month. How much was the sale for the two weeks together? In which week was the sale greater and by how much?
Books sold in 1st week = 285891
Books sold in 2nd week = 400768
Total sale = 285891+400768 = 686659 books sold in 2 weeks
Sale is greater in 2nd week because 4 lakh is greater than 2 lakh ad to calculate the difference
400768-285891 = 114877 more books sold in 2nd week.
- Find the difference between the greatest and the least number that can be written using the digits 6, 2, 7, 4, 3 each only once.
To make the greater number first we start from the greater number i.e. 76432
To make the smaller number first we start from the smaller number i.e. 23467
And to find the difference = 76432-23467 = 52965 is the answer.
- A machine, on average, manufactures 2,825 screws a day. How many screws did it produce in the month of January 2006?
Production of screws per day = 2825
How many in the month of January, January has 31 days so we multiply 2825*31 = 87,575 screws in the month of january.
- A merchant had Rs 78,592 with her. She placed an order for purchasing 40 radio sets at Rs 1200 each. How much money will remain with her after the purchase?
Cost of radio = 1200
So cost of 40 radio = 1200 * 40 = 48000
Merchant has 78592 Rs.
After paying all radio cost ,money left is 78592-48000 = 30,592
- A student multiplied 7236 by 65 instead of multiplying by 56. By how much was his answer greater than the correct answer? (Hint: Do you need to do both the multiplications?)
Wrong 7236 * 65 = 470340
Correct 7236*56 = 405216
So 470340-405216 = 65124
No , we don’t have to do both the multiplication we can find the difference between 65-56 = 9 and multiply 7236*9= 65,124 and got the same answer
- To stitch a shirt, 2 m 15 cm cloth is needed. Out of 40 m cloth, how many shirts can be stitched and how much cloth will remain?(Hint: convert data in cm.)
First, we convert meter into cm, we know that 1 m = 100 cm
So 2 m 15 cm = 2*100+15 = 200+15 =215 cm
40 m = 40*100 = 4000 cm cloth, to calculate how many shirts we can make we will divide 4000/215 we get the quotient is 18 and remainder is 130
That means 18 shirts will make and the remaining cloth is 130 cm.
- Medicine is packed in boxes, each weighing 4 kg 500g. How many such boxes can be loaded in a van which cannot carry beyond 800 kg?
First we have to convert all values in grams
4 kg 500 gm = 4500 gram [ we know that 1 kg = 1000 gm]
800 kg = 800000 gram
1 box weight = 4500 gram
The number of boxes that can be loaded = 800000 / 4500 = we get a quotient is 177 so 177 boxes can be loaded.
- The distance between the school and the house of a student’s house is 1 km 875 m. Every day she walks both ways. Find the total distance covered by her in six days.
Distance b/w school and home = 1km 875 m = 1875 m and return distance is also same, so in 1 day the student cover 1875+1875= 3750 m means 3 km 750 m
Therefore in 6 days he cover 3750 * 6 = 22,500 m means 22 km 500 m
- A vessel has 4 litres and 500 ml of curd. In how many glasses, each of 25 ml capacity, can it be filled?
Convert 4 l and 500 ml into ml [we know that 1 l = 1000 ml]
So 4 * 1000 + 500 = 4000+500 = 4500 ml
To find glasses = 4500 / 25 = 180 can be filled
- Estimate each of the following using general rules:
(a) 730 + 998
730 will be rounded at 700 because it is near 700
998 will be rounded at 1000 because it is near 1000
So 700+1000 = 1700 will be the answer
(b) 796 – 314
796 will be rounded at 800 because it is greater than 750 and near to 800
314 will be rounded at 300 because it is near 300
So 800-300 = 500 will be the answer
(c) 12,904 +2,888