Chapter 5 Major Domains of The Earth
Major Domains Of The Earth Class 6 NCERT Solutions
Answer the following questions briefly.
What are the four major domains of the earth?
The lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere are the four major domains of the earth.
Name the major continents of the earth.
There are seven continents in all. Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica are the continents.
Name the two continents that lie entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.
Australia and Antarctica are the only two continents lie in the Southern Hemisphere.
Name the different layers of atmosphere.
Troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, and exosphere are the various layers of the atmosphere.
Why is the earth called the ‘blue planet’?
Since water covers more than 71 percent of the earth and land covers just 29 percent, the earth is known as the blue planet.
Why is the Northern Hemisphere called the Land Hemisphere?
The Northern Hemisphere is known as the Land Hemisphere because it contains the majority of the Earth’s landmass.
Why is the Biosphere important for living organisms?
The biosphere is the narrow zone where land, water, and air meet. Life exists in this area, which is unique on earth. All living organisms, including humans, are interconnected and connected to the biosphere to survive.
Tick the correct answers.
(a) The mountain range that separates Europe from Asia is
- The Andes
- The Himalayas
- The Urals
Correct Answers – The Urals
(b) The continent of North America is linked to South America by
- An Isthmus
- A Strait
- A Canal
Correct answers – An Isthmus
(c) The major constituent of atmosphere by percent is
- Carbon dioxide
Correct answers – Nitrogen
(d) The domain of the earth consisting of solid rocks is
- The Atmosphere
- The Hydrosphere
- The Lithosphere
Correct answers – The Lithosphere
(e) Which is the largest continent?
correct answers Asia
Fill in the blanks.
- The deepest point on the earth is _____________ in the Pacific Ocean.
- The _____________ Ocean is named after a country.
- The _____________ is a narrow contact zone of land, water and air that supports life.
- The continents of Europe and Asia together are known as ____________.
- The highest mountain peak on the earth is _____________.
- Mariana Trench [greatest depth of 11,022 metres is recorded at Mariana Trench]
- Eurasia (Europe + Asia)[ combined landmass of Europe and Asia]
- Mount Everest
Also read :-
- Chapter 8 India Climate Vegetation And Wildlife
- Chapter 7 – Our Country India
- Chapter 6 Major landforms of the Earth
- Chapter 5 Major Domains of The Earth
- Chapter 4 – Maps
- Chapter 3 Motions of the Earth
- Chapter 2 – Globe Latitudes And Longitudes Class 6
- Class 6 Chapter 1 The Earth in The Solar System